Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins
These are amazing! Spiced muffins offer a nice warm flavor that will go great with a tea or your daily coffee as an afternoon snack. These would be a great option as your pre- workout snack an hour before exercising, giving you just the right type of energy to get your legs moving!
Makes 12 x 190 calorie muffins
- 1 LARGE sweet potato
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour. (if you use gluten free just add 1tsp of xanthum gum if it’s not in the gluten free powder mix) I used brown rice flour and also tried Bob’s Red Mills GF Flour
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cups of pure maple syrup (plus 1tbsp to brush muffin tops)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chinese 5 spice (PC makes one)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- *Optional: add 1 tbsp of chia seeds to the wet mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes so they can expand a bit, while you combine the dry mixture
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake sweet potato whole with skin on, piercing it a few times first
- Once cooked and cooled enough, remove the skin from the baked potato, place into a bowl
- Mash the sweet potato well in the mixing bowl
- Add the milk, vanilla, oil, maple syrup and apple sauce (wet ingredients) (Add chia seeds here) Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until well mixed together
- Take a muffin tray (for 12 muffins).
- Tip: Take small torn off bits of parchment paper and place one in each muffin whole. They don’t have to be perfect circles. In fact take some stress out here while ripping 12 little chunks of parchment paper! 🙂 Baking should be enjoyable and therapeutic right?
- Pour the muffin mixture evenly into 12 muffin rounds.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
- At 20 minutes take the muffins out and brush the top of each with a bit of maple syrup.
- Bake another 5 minutes until nothing sticks to a sharp knife when inserted into the center of the muffin. Let them cool. Enjoy when cool enough to bite into!
Nutrition Info: Calories Each:190 Carbohydrates: 32.5g Protein: 3g Fats: 5g Fiber: 3g
(adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow’s Cook Book)