Here’s a great alternative to a heavy meat burger! Give it a try this weekend! It’s pretty simple! Spice it up however you like!
- 2 cans cannellini white beans, drained (Each can is 1 3/4 cups drained beans with Progresso beans) (Cannellini beans are large and have that traditional kidney shape. With a slightly nutty taste and mild earthiness, they have a relatively thin skin and tender, creamy flesh).
- 1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp tahini (sesame seed butter)
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning (or another fave spice!)
- 1/4 cup wheat flour or brown rice flour or gluten free flour (there are some good pre-made gluten free flours on the market now)
- Optional: additional seasoning (whatever you have on hand – I used a few dashes cayenne, black pepper or chilli pepper)Salt to taste if needed
- Panko crumbs (you will dip each Pattie in the bread crumbs, about 1 cup total)
- Olive oil for pan- lightly oil just to avoid sticking
- 2 whole wheat buns or gluten free buns
- 2 avocados for toppings
- TOPPINGS TO CONSIDER!!! Dijon mustard, pickles, onions as desired OR you can use a mango chutney and roasted red peppers as toppings.
1. Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together. (you can use a food processor or a fork)
3. Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist,but you should be able to form a patty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs – or dry rice to thicken the mixture if needed.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko or gluten free bread crumbs. Thick coating. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides. You could also bake. If baking, use less Panko.
6. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve on toasted bun with lot of yummy toppings!
This is a great alternative to a meat burger! I love it!
Serves well with baked zucchini frites!
Bon Appetit! From NSAG! 🙂